THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF AWARD THAT YOU CAN ENTER, DESIGNED TO MATCH YOUR COMPANY ACHIEVEMENTS WITHIN THE PAST 12 MONTHS.
THERE ARE MANY BENEFITS IN ENTERING FOR THESE AWARDS – IT CAN ENTHUSE AND MOTIVATE STAFF; RECOGNISE BUSINESS ACHIEVEMENTS; OFFER MARKETING OPPORTUNITIES AND BOOST CUSTOMER CONFIDENCE.
Have a look at our Awards Launch video to understand the benefits of entering the Octabuild Builders Merchant Excellence Awards 2019.
LEVEL PLAYING FIELD
Every store, irrespective of size, recent investment, independent or part of a group, has an opportunity to enter and will be judged on an equal basis.
The new awards format provides an opportunity to involve management and staff in preparing submissions and hosting store visits.
WHO SHOULD ENTER?
Any builders merchant store (either independent or part of a group) that derives at least 50% of its sales from the building/construction industry is encouraged to enter the Awards, particularly those who have never done so previously.
HOW TO ENTER
HERE ARE A FEW STEPS TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND THE ENTRY PROCESS
1. Whether you are entering a Regional Award, any or all of the Individual Category Awards, entrants must prepare a written submission within the word count available.
2. Firstly, review what the Judges are looking for in each of the individual category awards and the Rising Star category.
3. Download the entry form and share the criteria with managers and colleagues to help gather information for your answers.
4. Submissions must tell the judges in your own words why you are entering that particular category and provide details of the business achievements, store or staff activities or community initiatives relevant to the criteria headings listed.
5. Merchants should prepare their entries offline first, by saving the word document on a local PC/Laptop and work offline, saving your documents until you are finished.
6. When you are happy with your answer/s and ready to submit online, prepare to copy and paste the details into the online entry form. Alternatively, for this year only you can submit by email or by post.
7. Please ensure your submissions are within the word count available.
8. Gather your supporting materials ready to upload or attach easily and store centrally, such as digital photographs/video links, media coverage obtained, social media activity, promotional flyers. There is a maximum upload limit of 10 MB on the online entry form and only JPEGs, PNG or PDF are accepted.
9. Make sure you have appropriate permission from a store manager or authorised representative to enter the awards.
10. Please refer to the Terms & Conditions of Entry before submitting.
WHAT THE JUDGES ARE LOOKING FOR
EACH OF THE FIVE INDIVIDUAL CATEGORY AWARDS HAS SPECIFIC AREAS THE JUDGES WILL AWARD MARKS IN THE FIRST STAGE OF JUDGING.
The points outlined below should be included in your answers (paragraphs or bullet points will be accepted), and be clear to the judges which section is being answered.
Entrants should provide more details or evidence for those sections with the higher percentage of marks available.
EXCELLENCE IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
Systems, processes, procedures that benefit your business (30%)
Vision, Mission and Strategy (20%)
Health & Safety protocols/initiatives (20%)
Support for Irish manufacturers/Octabuild companies (10%)
Premises – how often refreshed, restocked, key sections/departments (10%)
Staff involvement/motivation activities (10%)
EXCELLENCE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE
Staff engagement/knowledge/training (30%)
Trade/Retail experience – efficiency in facilitating trade (30%)
Innovation (An innovative action/process introduced in recent years to enhance customer service) (20%)
Customers sales process (representatives, quotations etc) (10%)
Service level agreement/delivery etc (10%)
EXCELLENCE IN SALES & MARKETING
Successful sales/marketing activity that has driven sales (50%)
A specific innovative initiative that is unique or different (50%)
EXCELLENCE IN SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS
Waste Management and Environmental Policy (60%)
Any unique innovation/initiative introduced in recent years to benefit environment/sustainability (40%)
EXCELLENCE IN COMMUNITY OUTREACH
Local/Community sponsorship (40%)
Charitable activities (40%)
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programme (20%)
RISING STAR AWARD
TO RECOGNISE AND ENCOURAGE UPCOMING TALENT IN THE BUILDERS MERCHANT INDUSTRY, MERCHANTS CAN NOMINATE ANY STAFF MEMBER WHO IS AGED 30 YEARS AND UNDER, BY THE 1ST JULY 2019, WHO THEY BELIEVE HAS PERFORMED ABOVE EXPECTATIONS IN THE BUSINESS, THE COMMUNITY AND WITH CUSTOMERS.
Individuals can request to be nominated by their store manager, but nominations must be submitted by an authorised store representative or manager on submitting.
Written submissions of up to 500 words should be prepared, with evidence or results to support the nomination.
The staff member should be someone who in the past 12 months has for example:
- performed above expectations
- excelled in service to customers, sales or in promoting your business
- excelled in improving support services such as in finance, administration, warehouse or security
- shown themselves to be an excellent team member
- the potential to become part of the senior management team.